Biodiesel Testing & Certification
We perform biodiesel quality testing on a wide range of biodiesel blends. We also perform testing to determine the biodiesel content in regular diesel fuel. We can conduct a full set of tests on biodiesel according to the ASTM D6751 and ASTM D7467 specifications.
Biodiesel is becoming an increasingly important fuel. Biodiesel is made from a variety of materials, including soybean oil, recycled cooking oil, and animal fats. It is blended with diesel to make automotive fuel. Biodiesel blends are labeled BX or BXX, X being the percentage of biodiesel in the mixture. Most major diesel fuel retailers are now selling B5 biodiesel blends. Industry standards allow the use of up to 5 percent biodiesel without special labeling on the fuel pump. Tax incentives currently encourage blending, so most diesel currently for sale is in fact B5. Vehicle owners and operators should check their owner’s manual or consult their auto manufacturer before using biodiesel, since using the wrong grade of fuel can cause engine damage.
Biodiesel is a biodegradable fuel that produces less air pollution than petroleum-based diesel. Biodiesel is also non-toxic and safer to handle than most conventional fuels. However, biodiesel frequently has problems with low-temperature fluidity (e.g., freezing/gelling), so high percentage biodiesel blends are usually not suitable for use in low temperatures. The most common issues with biodiesel are related to low-temperature properties and oxidation stability. As biodiesel oxidizes it can produce solid particles that can plug filters and fuel injectors.
The following is a list of the biodiesel-related tests that we perform. For additional information about the test method, click on the method number.
- ASTM D93 - Flash Point
- ASTM D130 - Corrosion Copper Strip
- ASTM D445 - Kinematic Viscosity
- ASTM D613 - Cetane Number
- ASTM D664 - Acid Number
- ASTM D874 - Sulfated Ash Content
- ASTM D1160 - Distillation in Vacuum
- ASTM D2500 - Cloud Point
- ASTM D2622 - Sulfur by XRF
- ASTM D2709 - Water & Sediment
- ASTM D4052 - Density & API Gravity
- ASTM D4176 - Free Water & Particulate Contamination
- ASTM D4530 - Micro Carbon Residue (MCRT)
- ASTM D4951 - Metals in Lubricating Oils by ICP
- ASTM D6584 - Glycerin in Biodiesel by GC
- ASTM D7501 - Cold Soak Filtration for Biodiesel
- EN 14110 - Methanol Content in Biodiesel
- EN 14538 - Calcium & Magnesium in Biodiesel
- EN 14538 - Potassium & Sodium in Biodiesel
- EN 15751 - Biodiesel Oxidation Stability
We also perform biodiesel testing according to the following specifications. To learn more, click on the specification name below.
- ASTM D7467 - Biodiesel Specification for B6-B20 biodiesel blends
- ASTM D6751 - Biodiesel Specification for B100 biodiesel blending stock